Not sure what to do with yellow split peas? Are you a fan of falafel? Well make this tasty deep-fried snack.
1 cup yellow split peas, soaked for 4-8 hours
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3 sprigs fresh cilantro, rough chopped
1 green onion, rough chopped
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 Anaheim peppers( for mild), or to taste
1. Add half the split peas into a blender (or food processor) with the cumin seed (and any other ingredients you’d prefer pulverized). Pulse into a fine consistency, stopping often to scrape down the blender bowl. (Note: I used a blender, but due to the thick consistency of this mixture, I’m thinking a food processor would be easier if you have one).
2. Now the fun part. Add the remaining split peas along with the green onion, cilantro, chili pepper, turmeric, and salt. Pulse until just combined and still a bit chunky. Scrape down the sides as needed.
3. Heat up enough oil in a pot to deep fry (about 350F) Meanwhile, shape the mixture into small balls.
4. Nifty Tip: Have one dirty hand, to grab the mixture out of the blender and to do the rough shaping. The other hand will be your “clean” hand and you can use it to do the nal shaping. Keep a bowl of water handy to dip your “clean” hand in. This will keep the mixture from sticking to you.
5. Fry in batches until golden and cooked through. This took 4-5 minutes for me, but cooking times may vary.