This recipe called for breadfruit, fresh or canned, which I could not find anywhere. Doing some research, some people have substituted Jackfruit for the breadfruit. Apparently they are relatives. Great, I know the asian market has those fresh. The sign at the store said $1.99/lb, that sounded cheep to me. At the register is cost $22! Oh well you only live once. To get at the meat of the fruit (which is very tasty) is quite an undertaking. The dish was quite tasty.
2 lbs salted meat ( beef, pig snout, pig tails, etc, you can also use salted ham or salted cod fish) ~ I used pig tails
1 (2-3lb) breadfruit or Jackfruit
4 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup sliced celery
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 cup chopped chives
1/2 cup pimento pepper ( seeded and chopped)
1 whole congo hot pepper or 1 whole habanero pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove
1. Put salted meat into a pot with water. Bring to a boil and drain, repeat three times to remove preserving salt. Cook until almost tender. Drain.
2. Wash and peel the breadfruit, cut into eight sections, remove the center lengthwise of each section, cut into 1/2″ slices.
3. Sauté onions and garlic in hot oil until onions are translucent. Add chive thyme and salted meat, hot pepper and 3 cups coconut milk.
4. Cover pot and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes until breadfruit is cooked and tender; add more coconut milk if necessary and put salt to taste. (Salt may not be necessary since the salted meat flavours the dish).
6. When cooked liquid should be absorbed and breadfruit mixture will look mushy.
7. Remove pepper before serving.
Original recipe found here: