Loso na Madesu
1 lb dried red beans
1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly
1/4 green bell pepper, sliced thinly
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt
3 bay leaves
1 tsp garlic salt
2 cups rice
4 green bananas
1. Soak the beans overnight, then cook them on the stove for about 40 minutes. Remove
from heat, drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil over a medium flame and cook the onions until translucent.
Then add the green pepper and keep stirring for another minute or two.
3. Drop the tomato paste into the pot and stir until well incorporated. Add a little bit of
water until your sauce is about the consistency of a marinara. Cook for five more
minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add the nutmeg, salt and a little more water (if necessary to maintain consistency).
Now transfer the beans to the pot and stir to mix. Add the bay leaves.
5. Cover the pot and continue to cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Meanwhile, boil a large pot of water and add the bananas, skins on. Cook until the
skins start to split, then remove from the water and let cool for a few minutes. When
cool enough to handle, remove the skins and slice into bite-sized pieces.
7. Boil the rice according to package