Poulet à la Moambé
Poulet à la Moambé or Poulet Moambe is a savory chicken dish popular in Central Africa and sometimes considered the national dish of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The dish itself is made by combining chicken, spices and palm butter to create a stew-like consistency.
3-4 lbs chicken parts, cut in serving pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 onion, minced
1 dash nutmeg
1 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup peanut butter, creamy and unsalted
1. Place chicken in a 6 quart soup pot with water to cover; add salt and pepper.
2. Bring to a boil, lower to simmer and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
3. Remove chicken and reserve 1 1/2 cups of the chicken broth.
4. In another pan, saute cayenne pepper, onion, nutmeg, tomato sauce and butter for 3 minutes.
5. To the pan, add the cooked chicken and the 1 1/2 cups of reserved broth and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
6. Add peanut butter to thicken, place in a 350 degree F. oven for 30 minutes, uncovered.
7. Serve warm with cooked rice.