Riz gras is a meat and rice based dish in Burkinabé cuisine, the cuisine of Burkino Faso, Africa.
2 habanero peppers
3 garlic cloves
1/2 onion, finely chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup oil
1 lb beef or chicken, cubed
4 tbsp tomato paste
4 1/4 cup water
1 Maggi cube (or chicken stock)
2 1/2 cups long grain white rice
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Put the habaneros, garlic, tomatoes and onion into a food processor and pulse until you get a nice paste. Then heat the oil over medium heat and add the paste to the pan. Cook for 8 minutes, then remove from the fire and set aside.
2. Use a little bit of water (about 1/2 to 1 cup) to rinse out your food processor, then put the water in a separate pot along with the meat. Bring the meat and water to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add the meat to the pan containing the paste. Add the tomato paste, water and Maggi (or stock) cube. Stir.
4. Wash the rice until the water runs clear. Then add it to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Check it, then cook for another 10 minutes or until the water has been absorbed.
5. Garnish with thin slices of onion.
Original recipe found here: