Stew Chicken with Rice & Beans
This Belizean combination is without a doubt the most abundant meal in Belize. From north to south, east to west and out on the cayes, you won’t go anywhere without coming across a plate of Stew Chicken with rice and beans.
1 4-lb. Chicken cut into small pieces
1 Clove garlic
1 tsp. Thyme, salt, pepper
1 tiny sliver of ginger
2 tbsps. Chopped onions
1 tbsp. Chopped green or red sweet pepper
1/4 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Brown sugar
1 small ripe tomato
Dime size red recado
Vinegar or lime juice
1. Wash chicken pieces
2. Season with, vinegar or lime juice, red recado, salt, pepper, thyme, cumin, cilantro.
3. Heat 2 tbsps. Cooking oil, add brown sugar and watch carefully to avoid burning. Let sugar cook until completely melted and turns dark brown.
4. Add clove of garlic that has been smashed and chopped as fine as possible.
5. Add ginger and fry, stirring, remove ginger when it gets brown.
6. Add chicken and brown properly on all sides.
7. Add remaining seasoning from chicken, chopped onions, sweet pepper and tomato and add about a half cup of water.
8. Reduce heat to medium and cover pot. Let simmer, adding water so that pot is never completely dry.
9. Cook for about 1 hour until chicken is very tender.
Rice and Beans
1 lb. red kidney beans
1 medium onion sliced
2 lbs. rice
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. Salt
2 plugs garlic ( crushed)
1 dried coconut (grated)( to give 1 cup milk)
6-8 cups water
1. Collect all ingredients
2. Soak beans for 4-6 hours
3. Boil beans with garlic, onion, until tender.
4. Season soften beans with black pepper, thyme & salt
5. Add coconut milk. Stir & taste. Let boil
6. Clean /Wash rice
7. Add rice to seasoned beans. Stir, then cover. Cook until water is absorbed or rice is tender. If necessary add more water gradually and continue cooking until rice is tender