Nasi Goreng (Fried Rice)
Nasi Goreng is the best fried rice I have ever made. I have tried so many fried rice recipes over the years that never come close to a Chinese restaurant version. This one is better than the restaurant! I have used shrimp paste before and it is definitely an acquired taste. To make this recipe more friendly to others I did not use the shrimp paste. Alternately I chose to cook the egg mixture beforehand as in step 12. This was so popular that I made it three days in a row!
2 cups uncooked long grain white rice (I use Tilda Basmati)
2 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2 inch strips
6 ounces raw shrimp, peeled
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger-root
1 tablespoon dried shrimp paste (I omitted this)
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
3 tablespoons finely chopped spring onions
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1. Boil rice in plenty of salted water until cooked.
2. Rinse, drain and spread the rice to cool.
3. Do this at least two hours ahead, or preferably, leave overnight in the fridge.
4. Combine eggs with sesame oil and salt, and put aside (see below).
5. Heat wok or large frying pan over heat until hot.
6. Add oil, and wait until it is very hot and slightly smoking.
7. Add the onions, ginger, shrimp paste, garlic, and pepper, and stir-fry for 2 minutes, squashing the shrimp paste as you go.
8. Then add chicken and shrimp and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes.
9. Add rice and continue to stir-fry for 3 minutes.
10. Now add the chili bean sauce or sambal oelek, oyster sauce and ketjap manis/dark soy sauce and continue to stir-fry for 2 minutes.
11. Finally, add egg mixture and continue to stir-fry for another minute.
12. Alternatively make 2 thin omelettes from the egg mixture ahead of time and cut into strips. Mix into rice.
13. Turn onto large serving platter and garnish with the spring onion and fresh cilantro, and serve hot.