I would recommend starting this the night before you want it.
Martillo’s Italian Beef Sandwich
by Marty Made It Productions
Time: 13-15 Hours Yield: 12 sandwiches
6 lbs Beef Inside Round Roast “CAP ON” (call your local butcher) for those in the greater Milwaukee area this is where I get mine.
3 cups water
1 Good Seasons Salad Dressing & Recipe Mix, Italian, 0.7 Ounce Packet
1 Tablespoon Au Jus Base
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon Dried Parsley
1 Tablespoon Dried Greek Oregano
1 Tablespoon Dried Basil
2 Bay Leaves
1 Dozen French Rolls (Turano brand if you can find it)
Hot or Mild Giardiniera (Marconi brand if you can find it)
1. Place meat into slow cooker with fat cap facing up.
2. Combine all seasonings and water into a medium saucepan.
3. Stirring intermittently, bring to a boil, and then pour over meat.
4. Turn slow cooker on to low setting and cover for 12 to 14 hours.
5. 15-20 minutes prior to serving Preheat oven to 450°F.
6. Remove bay leafs and discard.
7. Remove meat from slow cooker and place on a rimed baking sheet.
8. Using a knife remove the fat cap from meat and discard. The fat may just slide right off.
9. Slice meat into thin slices and or shred with forks.
10. Return meat and any accumulated juices to slow cooker and let rewarm for 10-20 minutes.
11. Taste the JUICE and season with salt if needed. It should be a touch saltier than you think it should be. Turn your slow cooker to warm. This can now hang out until your ready to serve.
11. Place French Rolls into 450°F oven for 1-2 minutes or until toasted.
12. Serve on French Rolls topped with Hot or Mild Giardiniera and lots of napkins. Enjoy!