Mulgi kapsad aka mulgikapsad is a traditional dish from Southern Estonia, consisting of pork, sauerkraut and barley (either pearl barley or barley groats).
1 kg Sauerkraut, fermented cabbage, Hapukapsas
0.5 glass of pearl barley
0.5 kg fat pork
(chopped onion, if you like), salt, pepper, sugar, cumin for seasoning
1. Put half the quantity of sauerkraut on to bottom of thick bottomed pot and add washed grits and meat.
2. Put remaining sauerkraut on top.
3. Add water to cover ingredients and salt
4. Simmer on low heat. Check from time to time about water. Be sure that the bottom of the pot would have more than a few centimeters of water. If needed, add more water.
5. When cabbage is soft, season and add some onion. Let set
6. Serve with boiled potatoes