Callaloo, a luscious green stew made all over the Caribbean, is one of *those* recipes. It’s like chili in the US; everyone lays claim to having the “best” version.
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
4 green onions, sliced
ham bone (salted pig tails are traditional)
1 lb baby spinach (use dasheen/taro leaves, if you canfind them)
1 can coconut milk
1 can coconut water
1/2 lb okra
1 tsp thyme, about a sprig (freshly chopped)
1/2 lb lump crabmeat (whole crab is traditional)
1 habanero pepper
1. Add coconut milk and water to a large pot. Heat over medium.
2. Pile on baby spinach, it will cook down into the liquid.
3. Add onions, garlic, green onions, okra habanero and thyme.
4. Add ham bone when there’s room in the pot. Simmer, covered for an hour.
5. Remove the ham bone and pulse a few times with an immersion blender. (Traditional recipes call for “swizzling” the soup with a special rod called a “swizzle stick”. They use it much like a whisk and itbreaks the soup down and leaves a somewhat coarse texture).
6. Stir in the crab meat. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Cook another 15 minutes, then serve over rice with macaroni pie or some beautiful bakes.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup milk, plus extra if needed
1/4 inch vegetable oil
1. Add butter and our to a large bowl. Use a pastry cutter or fork to break the butter up into pea-size pieces. Add milk and mix until a loose, shaggy mass forms.
2. Press it together with your hands. The dough will be stiff and a little dry. But… here’s the magic: let the dough rest 10 minutes and you”ll have a totally different dough – soft, pliable and pretty easy to work with.
3. Heat up a 1/4″ of vegetable oil in a large skillet. Meanwhile, divide dough into 8 pieces and shape into at discs. They should be 1/2-3/4 inch thick.
4. When the oil is hot (almost smoking), add the dough and cook on each side until golden brown.
5. Flip and cook until second side is golden and the bakes are cooked through. Enjoy immediately!