This process took much longer than I thought it would and turned the kitchen into a sauna. Flija is made using two batters cooked under the broiler multiple times to create a multilayered cake/bread dish topped with honey.
5 cups all-purpose our
2 tsp salt
3 1/4 – 3 3/4 cups milk
8 ounces sour cream
1 cup kefir (plain)
1 stick butter, melted
1. Whisk together each batter in its own bowl until they are lump free. Set aside at least an hour or overnight if possible.
2. Right before cooking, adjust the egg batter with our or milk until it is somewhere between the thickness of crêpes and pancakes.
3. Turn on the broiler and oil a large springform pan.
4. Add one layer of egg batter. Brown under the broiler for about 2-4 minutes.
5. Spread with a few spoonfuls of sour cream batter. Then, using the squeeze bottle, layer the batter around the pan like the rays of the sun and broil again.
6. Once the spokes have cooked, brush with more dairy mixture and then squeeze on some more batter between the most recent spokes.
7. Repeat process, broiling after every dairy and our batter addition.
8. Eventually the pan fills up.. little by little.
9. Drizzle honey when serving.